About the job
The Accounting Manager is responsible for financial reporting and related functions associated with the financial transactions of the company, including Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable and overseeing payroll administration. This position requires a strong understanding of the financial reporting system, sources and methods of data and data entry, and the accounting concepts necessary to properly report financial activity.
In this position, the Accounting Manager supervises one or more direct reports, works independently, performs with meticulous accuracy, maintains a keen focus on detail, and has the ability to meet strict deadlines. There is also a need for flexibility, the ability to quickly respond to management requests for immediate information, and the ability to perform in an agile manner.
Adherence to strict company policies regarding confidential and proprietary matters, good judgment and the ability to maintain absolute confidentiality of sensitive matters are imperative.
This individual is a champion of company culture and values, leading by example to care deeply about our employees and customers, take initiative every day to foster an environment of continuous improvement and model integrity in all aspects of work and life.
· Oversee the day to day operational accounting functions across multiple business units.
· Manage the month-end close process and consolidation for these entities, creating and posting journal entries, performing and reviewing account reconciliations and meeting all required reporting deadlines. Oversee these areas when being performed by outside vendor.
· Coordinate activities of external auditors as needed.
· Provide management with information vital to the decision-making process.
· Manage the budget process.
· Evaluate the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting database, as needed.
· Develop and monitor business performance metrics of the Accounting Department.
· Oversee regulatory reporting, frequently including tax planning and compliance being handled by outside vendor.
· Develop and implement recommendations to improve accounting processes for Accounts
Receivable, Accounts Payable, payroll activities, reporting requirements and ISO compliance.
· Oversee the transfer of transactions from outside software platforms that initiate the process for billings to clients and payments to vendors.
· Ensure the ongoing maintenance of customer and vendor profiles in all relevant systems.
· Perform/manage/oversee client invoicing process and communication format(s) to clients.
· In coordination with outside vendor as appropriate, manage all aspects of Accounts Receivable, including collections and bank deposits, the distribution of monthly statements to clients, follow-up on delinquent accounts applying finance charges as appropriate to customers.
· Oversee the accuracy and timeliness of outside vendor services, if appropriate, to approve, manage, and record all Accounts Payable transactions in a timely fashion and with appropriate documentation and verification of amounts due contractors and vendors.
· Act as liaison and representative between the Company and outside vendors and clients in response to AR, AP and any other accounting issues.
· Ensure timely delivery of monthly statistical reports, standard internal management reports as well as ad-hoc reports as requested.
· Determine commission and bonus earnings for various company incentive programs.
· Oversee and assist in annual preparation of Form 1099’s.
· Ensure the timely processing of quarterly Commercial Activity Tax payments internally or, if appropriate, through the use of outside vendor.
· Process quarterly rebates and other contractual obligations.
· Hire, train and retain skilled accounting staff.
· Other duties as assigned.
· PAYROLL RELATED: In coordination with any outside vendors currently under contract to provide Accounting and/or PEO services, oversee and/or prepare 1) bi-weekly payroll processing through payroll service company, 2) employee employment and personal information as necessary, both internally and with payroll service company, 3) employee withholding amounts and other payroll items for insurance deductions, courtesy withholdings, retirement plan deductions, etc., and reconcile monthly, 4) personnel and payroll transmission of information to payroll company.
o Oversee HR files and maintain proper employee forms and compliance with various IRS and labor rules and regulations.
o Oversee timely transfer of employee withholding amounts for retirement plan salary deferrals and company match amounts and payments to investment company.
o Manage annual payroll activities internally such as determination of PTO and other benefits, distribution of W-2’s, etc.
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
· Five years of experience in Accounting, preferably for a privately owned service company
· Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
· Highly skilled/technical aptitude in QuickBooks or similar accounting software
· Comfortable with a variety of technology platforms, i.e., SAAS, ERP, and CRM systems
· Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products, including Excel and the creation of spreadsheets, pivot tables, functions, etc.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· Ability to work in a fast paced, high pressure environment while balancing multiple priorities
· Highly skilled in report writer applications
· CPA desirable but not required; Notary Public certification preferred
· The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
· The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.